Friday, April 18, 2008

Posers


The man in this photo is supposedly a kind of mouthpiece for God. The Nation of Islam, and maybe a few more, revere him and his words.

It is not different from any other religious movement or institution. The preachers or pastors, imams, rabbis and such are important figure heads and advisors.

But in my personal opinion, this man is a little disturbing. He in some way perturbs me. Possibly because, for the longest time, I have been taught that he aided in the assassination of the wonderful Malcolm X. To silence such a voice is on some level, irredeemable.

Or maybe it is the picture that perturbs me. (It is actually far more than this picture that perturbs me, but what this picture demonstrates at large is a foundation for my unsettling feelings). This man here, a mouthpiece for God sits beside a woman who has made her claim to fame by sleeping with innumerable rich and famous men and subsequently publishing a book about her escapades.

This very degradation of herself is something the Nation of Islam vehemently speaks against women doing.

I am not judging. I would have done the same thing in those circumstances. I am not judging Farrakan either, but this pictures leaves me to wonder what conversation, what suggestions, what flirtations may have occurred.

Truth be told, I do not like the man.

2 comments:

Don said...

Louis Farrakhan is a very controversial speaker, born to touch the nerves of pretty much anyone within ear's length.

I think he has both his good and bad points, similar to most people.

Anonymous said...

wish you would have went deeper into this one miskeenah.